Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

The Big Day

Image from timeanddate.com
So today is the day. I have been able to sit and relax because of all the planning. My dinnerware is ready, the turkey is roasting, and the ham is on standby. I will say that this is a happy change to how things sometimes go on Thanksgiving.
My ability to look at the day and plan ahead only comes after several years of not planning. Instead, I was accustomed to the typical Thanksgiving day hectic schedule with a seemingly impossible oven rotation. Desserts normally took up most of the morning and then it was a mad dash to get the turkey going in time to cook completely.
This year is different. Because of the tips I have shared with you, the stress level is low. I have just a few more tips for the big day.
1. Coat your turkey in BUTTER! I am cooking a 13 pound turkey and I have it covered in 1 stick of softened butter mixed with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon each black pepper and poultry seasoning.
2. Keep your bird moist. Think of cooking it in a heavenly steam bath of stock and melted butter. I have my bird breast side up, coated in my compound butter, and on a rack in a roasting pan over a very thin layer of chicken stock. I have tented the bird very tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil to hold in the moisture.
3. Low and slow. Just like good pulled pork, the key to a moist bird is low and slow. I have mine cooking on 275 degrees for 2 1/2 hours, 300 degrees for 1 hour, and then uncovered on 325 for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
4. Make sure to test for doneness. You do not need salmonella poisoning from an undercooked bird. I normally check for clear juices running from the thigh/breast joint, but you can also use a digital thermometer (at least 170 degrees as the bird will continue to cook while resting).
5. Let it rest! I take my bird out with 45 minutes to go. Cover it tightly and let it rest! This gives the juices time to redistribute and you time to make gravy from the pan drippings.
I sincerely hope that you have found these tips for a stress-free Thanksgiving meal helpful. With a little planning, you family gatherings can be easy and delicious, allowing you more time to make your game plan for Black Friday Shopping! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment