Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

Preparing to Shop

So today is the big day. Today is the day when I make the trip to the grocery store to stock up for the week of cooking to come. In order to make sure I don't miss anything, I make out my entire menu, as I discussed in my last post, and then the ingredients needed. I do not necessarily list out the measurements, but at least the items so that I make sure to consider all needs when making out my shopping list. Here is what I mean.


Turkey: Turkey, Butter, Salt, Pepper, Poultry Seasoning, Chicken Broth
Ham: Ham, Brown Sugar, Pineapple Rings
Stuffing: Dried Stuffing Mix, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Chicken Broth, Butter, Salt, Pepper, Sage, Chopped Mushrooms, Chopped Onions, Egg
Gravy: Turkey Drippings, Flour, Salt, Pepper, Broth
Mashed Potatoes: Potatoes, Butter, Whole Milk, Salt, Pepper
Deviled Eggs: Eggs, Vinegar, Relish, Mustard, Mayo, Paprika
Creamed Corn: Corn, Butter, Milk, Salt, Pepper, Sugar
Sweet Potatoes: Sweet Potatoes, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Butter
Green Beans: Green Beans, Oil, Salt, Pepper, Beef Broth Powder
Rolls: Dry Yeast, Honey, Butter, Salt, Eggs, Flour
Cranberry Relish: Cranberries, Orange Juice, Sugar
Pecan Streusel Pumpkin Pie: Pie Shell, Solid-Packed Pumpkin, Evaporated Milk, Eggs, Sugar, Cinnamon, Salt, Flour, Brown Sugar, Butter, Pecans
Sour Cream Pound Cake: Flour, Salt, Baking Powder, Sugar, Vanilla, Sour Cream, Eggs, Butter, Shortening

Extras: Whipped Cream, Unsweetened Tea

By laying out everything as I did above, I make sure that everything is covered. For example, when I was making out the list, I thought I was finished and then suddenly realized I had forgotten the gravy and stuffing, which would have been a travesty in my family! 

Another great tip is to print unfamiliar recipes to make sure you are purchasing enough of the ingredients as you make out the shopping list. Don't forget to check you pantry, freezer, and spice rack for items in case you are running low. Nothing is worse than being elbow-deep in fixing a turkey and realizing you don't have aluminum foil to tent the bird or salt to season it! 

Plan now and Thanksgiving will be a breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment