Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Making New Classics

While there are some things that I think should not be changed on my Thanksgiving table, like my mom's sweet potato casserole with nut topping, there are other places where I think experimenting can be fun and may even create some new family classics. Now is the time to start planning for these endeavors. 
In my last post, I mentioned the planning of the menu. As you lay out your buffet plan, decide where you want to try something new. After you have identified your areas of attack, take to the internet for some research. Not only do I hit up the typical websites---food network, taste of home---but this is the perfect time to look to sites such as recipe blogs (hint, hint)---Tasty Kitchen is also great---and even the newest craze, Pinterest. Once you have found your new recipes, there are a few things to consider.
You first want to make sure that the new dish will complement your menu. Secondly, test the recipe ahead of time. I would not recommend trying a recipe for the first time on D-Day unless you are going to serve it no matter what. With a little over a week to go until Thanksgiving, now is when I start to try new recipes. I need to know if I am going to need to double or triple the recipe before I plan my shopping trip and in budgetting my meal (yes, I do budget for holiday cooking).
So I challenge you to try at least one new item this year. I hope that you find it enjoyable and I really hope that you will tell me about the experience with a response to this post. I think we all find the process much less intimidating when we know we are not in it alone and that others are taking on this crazy endeavor with us. So get out there! Experiment! Make a new tradition in your family dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment